GFOAT PRE-CONFERENCE WORKSHOP
WHEN: Tuesday, October 25 and Wednesday, October 26, 2016
WHERE: Sheraton Arlington Hotel
The City of Arlington is a local public sector laboratory of various economic development tools for a wide range of projects. These two half-day sessions cover both a field trip tour of the town, highlighting various venues of interest, followed by a classroom day of nuts and bolts tips for accounting and administration. It’s all in there!
Presented by City of Arlington Economic Development, Planning, and Finance Departments, including the following executives:
- Mike Finley, Chief Financial Officer
- Bruce Payne, Economic Development Manager
- Ethan Klos, Treasurer
- Erin Clark, Public Finance Administrator
In route, antedoctal information will also be provided regarding AT&T Stadium, Globe Life Park, and the newly developing “Commons” multi-family property.
Venues to be included:
- “Downtown Arlington”: A case study in developing a destination venue without a traditional downtown. Highlights will include a performing center, construction of a new library, and parking concerns. Specific economic incentive tools will include TIF, TIRZ, BID. This stop will include some modest walking time.
- General Motors expansion: A case study in developing incentives for a pre-existing community partner. This venue will be under construction. Specific tools covered will be tax abatements and 380 agreements.
- Viridian: Presently a large-scale residential development with mixed use design. Features and amenities include HEB elementary school; high density housing; a community center, and plans for a golf course. Revived from prior development financial woes, as well as reclamation from flood plains, this development includes such tools as MMD, and PID. Modest amount of walking time.
City staff and support team will provide the details of each venue:
- Economic development tools used
- Financial implications and analysis
- Back office administrative techniques and challenges
- Accounting Considerations
We would like to thank the City of Arlington, Arlington Convention and Visitors Bureau, Arlington Music Hall, Downtown Arlington Management Corporation, and Viridian for their generosity and support with the GFOAT Fall “Dream City” Pre-Conference.